Manic Depressive Incidence
Facts about bipolar disorder:
- About 1% of people in the US have bipolar disorder.
- About 5.7 million Americans have bipolar disorder.
- Males and females are equally affected, but severe cases are more common in females.
- Bipolar disorder typically develops in late adolescence or early adulthood.
Continue to Manic Depressive Risk Factors
- Geddes J. Bipolar disorder. Clin Evid. 2005 Jun;(13):1158-81. 
- Ghaemi SN, Ko JY, Goodwin FK. The bipolar spectrum and the antidepressant view of the world. J Psychiatr Pract. 2001 Sep;7(5):287-97. 
- Tondo L, Baldessarini RJ, Hennen J, et al: Lithium treatment and risk of suicidal behavior in bipolar disorder patients. J Clin Psychiatry 1998 Aug; 59(8): 405-14.