Prevention of malaria includes:
- Take prophylactic medications for malaria:
- As directed by your doctor
- Use insect repellent that contains DEET:
- Apply to exposed skin and clothing
- Sleep under mosquito nets that are treated with permethrin.
- Wear long pants and long-sleeved shirts
- Wear a hat.
Continue to Malaria Outlook
- Kent DM, Mwamburi DM, Bennish ML, Kupelnick B, Ioannidis JP. Clinical trials in sub-Saharan Africa and established standards of care: a systematic review of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria trials. JAMA. 2004 Jul 14;292(2):237-42. 
- Schlagenhauf P. Mefloquine for malaria chemoprophylaxis 1992-1998: a review. J Travel Med. 1999 Jun;6(2):122-33. 
- Stoppacher R, Adams SP. Malaria deaths in the United States: case report and review of deaths, 1979-1998. J Forensic Sci. 2003 Mar;48(2):404-8. 
- Trampuz A, Jereb M, Muzlovic I, Prabhu RM. Clinical review: Severe malaria. Crit Care. 2003 Aug;7(4):315-23.