Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms types Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care pain and fever adults pain and fever children warning signs Prevention Outlook Complications Underlying Cause Transmission
Facts about malaria:
- Malaria is rare in the US.
- Worldwide, over 300 million people develop malaria each year.
- About 1.5 million people die from this disease each year.
Malaria occurs in the following locations:
- Central America
- Middle East
- South America
- Southeast Asia
- Sub-Saharan Africa
Continue to Malaria Risk Factors
PubMed Malaria References
- Kent DM, Mwamburi DM, Bennish ML, Kupelnick B, Ioannidis JP. Clinical trials in sub-Saharan Africa and established standards of care: a systematic review of HIV, tuberculosis, and malaria trials. JAMA. 2004 Jul 14;292(2):237-42. 
- Schlagenhauf P. Mefloquine for malaria chemoprophylaxis 1992-1998: a review. J Travel Med. 1999 Jun;6(2):122-33. 
- Stoppacher R, Adams SP. Malaria deaths in the United States: case report and review of deaths, 1979-1998. J Forensic Sci. 2003 Mar;48(2):404-8. 
- Trampuz A, Jereb M, Muzlovic I, Prabhu RM. Clinical review: Severe malaria. Crit Care. 2003 Aug;7(4):315-23.