Treatment for malabsorption includes treatment of the underlying cause. Treatment for malabsorption often includes antibiotics, a special diet and special supplements. Infants with malabsorption may benefit from a soy-based formula.
Treatment options for malabsorption include:
- Antibiotics for malabsorption:
- To treat bacterial infections of the intestine
- Gluten-free diet
- Low fat diet
- Low carbohydrate diet
- Lactose-free diet
- Soy formula for infants
- Nutritional supplements for malabsorption
- Pancrelipase for pancreatic enzyme deficiency
- Vitamin supplements for malabsorption
For more information:
Malabsorption Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for malabsorption.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to gain weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat malabsorption:
Continue to Malabsorption Home Care
- Farrell JJ. Overview and diagnosis of malabsorption syndrome. Semin Gastrointest Dis. 2002 Oct;13(4):182-90. 
- Ginsburg PM, Janefalkar P, Rubin DT, Ehrenpreis ED. Malabsorption testing: a review. Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2000 Oct;2(5):370-7. 
- Salerno G, De Franco A, La Rosa S, Calistro V. Malabsorption syndromes. Rays. 2002 Jan-Mar;27(1):19-34.