Major Depressive Disorder Underlying Cause
Major depression is thought to be caused by a disturbance in brain chemistry rather than a psychological reaction to external events.
- Badamgarav E, Weingarten SR, Henning JM, Knight K, Hasselblad V, Gano A Jr, Ofman JJ. Effectiveness of disease management programs in depression: a systematic review. Am J Psychiatry. 2003 Dec;160(12):2080-90. 
- Bair MJ, Robinson RL, Katon W, Kroenke K. Depression and pain comorbidity: a literature review. Arch Intern Med. 2003 Nov 10;163(20):2433-45. 
- Barrett B, Byford S, Knapp M. Evidence of cost-effective treatments for depression: a systematic review. J Affect Disord. 2005 Jan;84(1):1-13. 
- Neumeyer-Gromen A, Lampert T, Stark K, Kallischnigg G. Disease management programs for depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Med Care. 2004 Dec;42(12):1211-21. 
- Remick RA. Diagnosis and management of depression in primary care: a clinical update and review. CMAJ. 2002 Nov 26;167(11):1253-60. 
- Wulsin LR. Is depression a major risk factor for coronary disease? A systematic review of the epidemiologic evidence. Harv Rev Psychiatry. 2004 Mar-Apr;12(2):79-93.