Macular Degeneration Prevention
Prevention of macular degeneration includes:
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Sunglasses that block UV light
- Regular screening eye examinations
- High blood pressure treatment
- Multivitamin supplement with:
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids:
- Can reduce risk for heart disease
- May also reduce risk for age-related macular degeneration
Continue to Macular Degeneration Outlook
- Chakravarthy U, Stevenson M. Self-reported visual functioning and quality of life in age-related macular degeneration. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;16(3):179-83. 
- DeBlack SS. Cigarette smoking as a risk factor for cataract and age-related macular degeneration: a review of the literature. Optometry. 2003 Feb;74(2):99-110. 
- Liu M, Regillo CD. A review of treatments for macular degeneration: a synopsis of currently approved treatments and ongoing clinical trials. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2004 Jun;15(3):221-6. 
- Smith BT, Belani S, Ho AC. Light energy, cataract surgery, and progression of age-related macular degeneration. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2005 Jun;16(3):166-9.