Lymphoma Burkitt Types
There are three main types of Burkitt lymphoma:
- Endemic form of Burkitt lymphoma:
- Common in Africa
- Mean age of onset is 7 years
- Associated with certain genetic patterns
- Sporadic form of Burkitt lymphoma:
- Can occur in the USA
- Has been associated with Epstein-Barr virus infection
- Immune deficiency-associated Burkitt lymphoma:
- Usually associated with HIV infection
- May also occur in those who are taking drugs to suppress organ transplant rejection.
Continue to Lymphoma Burkitt Anatomy
- Brady G, MacArthur GJ, Farrell PJ. Epstein-Barr virus and Burkitt lymphoma. J Clin Pathol. 2007 Dec;60(12):1397-402. 
- Haralambieva E, Boerma EJ, van Imhoff GW, et al. Clinical, immunophenotypic, and genetic analysis of adult lymphomas with morphologic features of burkitt lymphoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 2005 Aug;29(8):1086-94. 
- Thornburg CD, Roulston D, Castle VP. Burkitt lymphoma and Williams syndrome: a model for children with a multisystem disorder and malignancy. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2005 Feb;27(2):109-11.