Lymph Gland Infection Under the Arm Treatment
Treatment for axillary lymphadenitis includes warm compresses under the arm, arm elevation, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain, and antibiotics. In some cases, a needle aspiration, or an incision and drainage procedure may be required to clear up the infection.
General treatment for axillary lymphadenitis includes:
- Warm, wet compresses to the affected area
- Elevation of the arm
- Resting the infected area will speed healing
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Acetaminophen for pain
Medications for axillary lymphadenitis include:
- Antibiotics for lymphadenitis
- Pain medication
Surgical options for axillary lymphadenitis include:
- Needle aspiration: removing fluid from the lymph gland with a needle
- Surgery: incision and drainage to drain pus from an infected lymph node
Incision and drainage of an abscessed axillary lymph node:
- The skin is sterilized using rubbing alcohol or an antibacterial soap.
- A local anesthetic is injected into the tissues surrounding the lymph gland.
- An incision is made with a scalpel.
- Pus is drained from the lymph gland.
- The lymph gland cavity is flushed clean.
- In some cases, a rubber drain or a strip of sterile gauze is packed inside the lymph gland cavity.
- The gauze or drain placed inside the cavity is usually removed 24-36 hours later.
Lymph Gland Infection Under the Arm Specialist
Continue to Lymph Gland Infection Under the Arm Home Care
- Giovagnorio F, Rusticali A, Araneo AL. Color and pulsed Doppler evaluation of benign and malignant adenopathy. Clin Imaging. 1997 May-Jun;21(3):163-9. 
- Guffey MB, Dalzell A, Kelly DR, Cassady KA. Ulceroglandular tularemia in a nonendemic area. South Med J. 2007 Mar;100(3):304-8. 
- McEwan J, Basha S, Rogers S, Harkness P. An unusual presentation of cat-scratch disease. J Laryngol Otol. 2001 Oct;115(10):826-8. 
- Olszewski WL. The innate reaction of the human skin lymphatic system to foreign and self-antigens. Lymphat Res Biol. 2005 Summer;3(2):50-7.