Lung Mesothelioma Treatment
Treatment for mesothelioma depends on the stage (spread) of the cancer. Treatment often includes a combination of surgery (to remove the tumor), chemotherapy, and radiation therapy.
Treatment options for mesothelioma include:
- Surgery for mesothelioma:
- Chemotherapy for mesothelioma:
- The administration of medicines that kill cancer cells.
- Gemcitabine (Gemzar)
- Pemetrexed disodium (Alimta)
- Cisplatin (Platinol)
- Ranpirnase (Onconase)
- Radiation therapy for mesothelioma:
- Exposing cancer cells to radiation can kill them.
Treatment of mesothelioma varies with the stage of the cancer. In general, mesothelioma treatment is as follows:
- Treatment for stage 1 cancer usually includes one of the following options:
- Surgery to remove the cancer
- Surgery to remove the cancer and radiation therapy
- Surgery to remove the cancer and the placement of anti-cancer drugs inside the chest cavity
- Radiation therapy
- Treatment for stage 2, 3, and 4 cancers usually includes some combination of:
Lung Mesothelioma Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for mesothelioma.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Lung Mesothelioma Specialist
Continue to Lung Mesothelioma Outlook
- Laden F, Stampfer MJ, Walker AM. Lung cancer and mesothelioma among male automobile mechanics: a review. Rev Environ Health. 2004 Jan-Mar;19(1):39-61. 
- Maziak DE, Gagliardi A, Haynes AE, Mackay JA, Evans WK; Cancer Care Ontario Program in Evidence-based Care Lung Cancer Disease Site Group. Surgical management of malignant pleural mesothelioma: a systematic review and evidence summary. Lung Cancer. 2005 May;48(2):157-69. 
- van Ruth S, Baas P, Zoetmulder FA. Surgical treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma: a review. Chest. 2003 Feb;123(2):551-61.