Lung Embolism Outlook
What to expect with a pulmonary embolism:
- Overall, pulmonary embolism causes death in about 1 out of 6 people who develop the disease.
- With early treatment, about 1 out of 20 people with pulmonary embolus dies from the disease.
- The long-term outlook is excellent for those who do not have additional underlying illnesses.
Continue to Lung Embolism Complications
- Fedullo PF, Tapson VF. Clinical practice. The evaluation of suspected pulmonary embolism. N Engl J Med. 2003 Sep 25;349(13):1247-56. 
- Kruip MJ, Leclercq MG, van der Heul C, Prins MH, Buller HR. Diagnostic strategies for excluding pulmonary embolism in clinical outcome studies. A systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2003 Jun 17;138(12):941-51. 
- Roberts KE, Hamele-Bena D, Saqi A, Stein CA, Cole RP. Pulmonary tumor embolism: a review of the literature. Am J Med. 2003 Aug 15;115(3):228-32. 
- Roy PM, Colombet I, Durieux P, Chatellier G, Sors H, Meyer G. Systematic review and meta-analysis of strategies for the diagnosis of suspected pulmonary embolism. BMJ. 2005 Jul 30;331(7511):259.