Lung Disease from Smoking Incidence
Facts about chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) :
- 30 million people in the US have COPD.
- 8 million people in the US have chronic bronchitis.
- 2 million people in the US have emphysema.
- Most cases of COPD occur in people over 40 years of age.
- Men are affected more frequently than women.
- COPD is the fourth leading cause of death in the US: about 4.5% of all deaths per year in the USA.
Continue to Lung Disease from Smoking Risk Factors
- Celli BR, Thomas NE, Anderson JA, Ferguson GT, Jenkins CR, Jones PW, Vestbo J, Knobil K, Yates JC, Calverley PM. Effect of pharmacotherapy on rate of decline of lung function in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: results from the TORCH study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Aug 15;178(4):332-8. Epub 2008 May 29. 
- Doherty DE, Briggs DD Jr. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: epidemiology, pathogenesis, disease course, and prognosis. Clin Cornerstone. 2004;Suppl 2:S5-16. 
- Ebell MH. Systemic corticosteroids for acute exacerbations of COPD. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Aug 1;72(3):437-8. 
- Kerstjens H, Postma D, Ten Hacken N. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Clin Evid. 2004 Jun;(11):2003-30. 
- Weder MM, Donohue JF. Role of bronchodilators in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 Apr;26(2):221-34.