Lung Damage from Smoking Evaluation
Evaluation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD begins with a medical history and physical examination.
Physical findings in those with COPD may include:
- Low blood oxygen levels
- Signs of severe difficulty breathing
- Rapid respiratory rate
The diagnosis of COPD is usually confirmed through testing.
Tests that may be used to evaluate COPD include:
Continue to Lung Damage from Smoking Treatment
- Celli BR, Thomas NE, Anderson JA, Ferguson GT, Jenkins CR, Jones PW, Vestbo J, Knobil K, Yates JC, Calverley PM. Effect of pharmacotherapy on rate of decline of lung function in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: results from the TORCH study. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2008 Aug 15;178(4):332-8. Epub 2008 May 29. 
- Doherty DE, Briggs DD Jr. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: epidemiology, pathogenesis, disease course, and prognosis. Clin Cornerstone. 2004;Suppl 2:S5-16. 
- Ebell MH. Systemic corticosteroids for acute exacerbations of COPD. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Aug 1;72(3):437-8. 
- Kerstjens H, Postma D, Ten Hacken N. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Clin Evid. 2004 Jun;(11):2003-30. 
- Weder MM, Donohue JF. Role of bronchodilators in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2005 Apr;26(2):221-34.