Low Thyroid Hormone Treatment
The treatment of hypothyroidism depends on the severity of the condition. Hypothyroidism is usually treated with oral thyroid hormone replacement medication. Usually, the person with hypothyroidism is on medication for life. Surgery may be required to remove a large thyroid goiter.
Treatment options for hypothyroidism includes:
- Medications for hypothyroidism:
- Levothyroxine (Synthroid, Levoxyl, Levothroid, Unithroid)
- Liothyronine (Cytomel, Triostat)
- Desiccated thyroid (Armour thyroid)
- Surgery for hypothyroidism:
- For large goiters associated with hypothyroidism
- Diet: Vegetables to avoid that may interfere with iodine transport in the thyroid include:
- Lima beans
- Bamboo shoots
- Sweet potatoes
- Diet: Avoid or limit consumption of brassica vegetables:
- Brussels sprouts
Low Thyroid Hormone Pregnancy
Facts about hypothyroidism in pregnancy:
Low Thyroid Hormone Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for hypothyroidism.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Low Thyroid Hormone Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat hypothyroidism:
Continue to Low Thyroid Hormone Home Care
- Escobar-Morreale HF, Botella-Carretero JI, Escobar del Rey F, Morreale de Escobar G. REVIEW: Treatment of hypothyroidism with combinations of levothyroxine plus liothyronine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Aug;90(8):4946-54. 
- Rovet J, Daneman D. Congenital hypothyroidism: a review of current diagnostic and treatment practices in relation to neuropsychologic outcome. Paediatr Drugs. 2003;5(3):141-9. 
- Simon NM, Blacker D, Korbly NB, Sharma SG, Worthington JJ, Otto MW, Pollack MH. Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in anxiety disorders revisited: new data and literature review. J Affect Disord. 2002 May;69(1-3):209-17.