Low Parathyroid Hormone Underlying Cause
Causes of hypoparathyroidism include:
- Autoimmune polyglandular deficiency:
- An inherited form of hypoparathyroidism.
- Congenital aplasia of the parathyroid glands:
- Parathyroid gland fails to develop normally in the womb.
- DiGeorge syndrome
- Hereditary hypoparathyroidism
- Post-surgical hypoparathyroidism:
- Occurs after surgical removal of all the parathyroid glands.
- Tissues do not respond to normal levels of parathyroid hormone.
- Radiation induced hypoparathyroidism:
Continue to Low Parathyroid Hormone Anatomy
- Garfield N, Karaplis AC. Genetics and animal models of hypoparathyroidism. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Sep;12(7):288-94. 
- Winer KK, Ko CW, Reynolds JC, Dowdy K, Keil M, Peterson D, Gerber LH, McGarvey C, Cutler GB Jr. Long-term treatment of hypoparathyroidism: a randomized controlled study comparing parathyroid hormone-(1-34) versus calcitriol and calcium. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2003 Sep;88(9):4214-20. 
- Winer KK, Yanovski JA, Sarani B, Cutler GB Jr. A randomized, cross-over trial of once-daily versus twice-daily parathyroid hormone 1-34 in treatment of hypoparathyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998 Oct;83(10):3480-6.