Low Blood Count Prevention
Prevention of anemia includes:
- Test your stool for blood:
- Use a home fecal occult blood test
- Contact your doctor if the stool is positive for blood.
- For women who have heavy menstrual bleeding:
- Ask your doctor if you should take iron supplements.
- Pregnant women should take vitamin B supplements.
- Do not give cow's milk to an infant:
Continue to Low Blood Count Outlook
- Bain BJ. Diagnosis from the blood smear. N Engl J Med. 2005 Aug 4;353(5):498-507. 
- Bain BJ. Pathogenesis and pathophysiology of anemia in HIV infection. Curr Opin Hematol. 1999 Mar;6(2):89-93. 
- Brodsky RA, Jones RJ. Aplastic anaemia. Lancet. 2005 May 7-13;365(9471):1647-56. 
- Kuriyan M, Carson JL. Anemia and clinical outcomes. Anesthesiol Clin North America. 2005 Jun;23(2):315-25, vii. 
- Williams MD, Wheby MS: Anemia in pregnancy. Med Clin North Am 1992 May; 76(3): 631-47.