Loose Bowel Movements Oral Rehydration
Adults who are taking fluids by mouth can usually restore lost fluids and body salts with oral rehydration therapy (ORT). Oral fluids are adequate to treat most people with mild and moderate diarrhea or dehydration. ORT fluids are usually used in children, but can be used in adults.
ORT fluids include:
- Re Vital
- Generic drugstore brands
Adults may also use the following fluids:
- Non-caffeinated soft drinks
- Sports drinks
- Water (not exclusively)
Continue to Loose Bowel Movements Specialist
- Aranda-Michel J, Giannella RA. Acute diarrhea: a practical review. Am J Med. 1999 Jun;106(6):670-6. 
- Camilleri M. Chronic diarrhea: a review on pathophysiology and management for the clinical gastroenterologist. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004 Mar;2(3):198-206. 
- Fine KD, Schiller LR. AGA technical review on the evaluation and management of chronic diarrhea. Gastroenterology. 1999 Jun;116(6):1464-86. 
- Mylonakis E, Ryan ET, Calderwood SB. Clostridium difficile--Associated diarrhea: A review. Arch Intern Med. 2001 Feb 26;161(4):525-33.