Liver is Inflamed due to Alcohol Anatomy
To better understand alcoholic hepatitis, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
- Haber PS, Warner R, Seth D, Gorrell MD, McCaughan GW. Pathogenesis and management of alcoholic hepatitis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003 Dec;18(12):1332-44. 
- Madhotra R, Gilmore IT. Recent developments in the treatment of alcoholic hepatitis. QJM. 2003 Jun;96(6):391-400. 
- O'Shea RS, McCullough AJ. Treatment of alcoholic hepatitis. Clin Liver Dis. 2005 Feb;9(1):103-34. 
- Willner IR, Reuben A. Alcohol and the liver. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2005 May;21(3):323-30.