Liver Failure Outlook
What to expect with cirrhosis:
- Cirrhosis cannot be reversed.
- The outlook depends on the severity of the damage at the time of diagnosis.
- A person may not have symptoms of liver failure for 5 to 20 years.
- Death usually occurs within 5 years after the liver starts to fail.
Continue to Liver Failure Complications
- Levitsky J, Mailliard ME. Diagnosis and therapy of alcoholic liver disease. Semin Liver Dis. 2004 Aug;24(3):233-47. 
- Tome S, Lucey MR. Review article: current management of alcoholic liver disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Apr 1;19(7):707-14. 
- Wakim-Fleming J, Mullen KD. Long-term management of alcoholic liver disease. Clin Liver Dis. 2005 Feb;9(1):135-49. 
- Walsh K, Alexander G. Alcoholic liver disease. Postgrad Med J. 2000 May;76(895):280-6.