Liver Cancer Anatomy
To better understand liver cancer, it helps to understand the anatomy of the liver.
The liver is located in the upper right abdomen. It is one of the largest organs in the body.
Functions of the liver include:
- Helps convert food into energy
- Helps digest food
- Removes toxins, such as alcohol, from the blood
- Regulates blood clotting
- Stores energy
- Stores iron
Liver anatomy examples:
- Bhosale P, Szklaruk J, Silverman PM. Current staging of hepatocellular carcinoma: imaging implications. Cancer Imaging. 2006 Jul 4;6:83-94. 
- Hung CH, Lee CM, Lu SN, Wang JH, Hu TH, Tung HD, Chen CH, Chen WJ, Changchien CS. Long-term effect of interferon alpha-2b plus ribavirin therapy on incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with hepatitis C virus-related cirrhosis. J Viral Hepat. 2006 Jun;13(6):409-14. 
- Lewis AM, Martin RC. The treatment of hepatic metastases in colorectal carcinoma. Am Surg. 2006 Jun;72(6):466-73. 
- Lise M, Pilati P, Da Pian P, Mocellin S, Nitti D, Corazzino S. Treatment options for liver metastases from colorectal cancer. J Exp Clin Cancer Res. 2003 Dec;22(4 Suppl):149-56. 
- Matsui O. Detection and characterization of hepatocellular carcinoma by imaging. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2005 Oct;3(10 Suppl 2):S136-40. 
- Thomas MB, Abbruzzese JL. Opportunities for targeted therapies in hepatocellular carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Nov 1;23(31):8093-108.