Lips Dry Home Care
Home care has two main goals: restore moisture to the lips and seal the lips against moisture loss. Restore the moisture by drinking water. Lip balms that contain the active ingredient, dimethicone, seal the lips to prevent loss of moisture.
Home care for chapped lips includes:
- Apply lip balms that contain dimethicone.
- Apply petroleum jelly to your lips.
- Avoid exposure to the sun:
- Apply lip balm that contains sunscreen.
- Wear a hat.
- Avoid licking your lips repeatedly.
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid cosmetics, soaps or lotions that irritate your lips.
Lips Dry Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have chapped lips and any of the following:
- Pus draining from the lips
- Worsening lip pain
- Worsening lip redness
- Worsening lip swelling
- Yellow or brown crust forms on the lips
Continue to Lips Dry Prevention
- Food and Drug Administration, HHS. Skin protectant drug products for over-the-counter human use; final monograph. Final rule. Fed Regist. 2003 Jun 4;68(107):33362-81.