Ligament Knee Injury Overview
Another name for Ligament Knee Injury is Knee Sprain.
What is a knee sprain?
A person with a knee sprain has stretched or torn a ligament in the knee. Ligaments are strong fibrous bands that hold the bones in place during movement. Sprains occur when the joint moves beyond the normal range of motion. Knee sprains may result in injury to the collateral ligaments, cruciate ligaments, the medial meniscus, or lateral meniscus.
What are the symptoms of a knee sprain?
Symptoms of a knee sprain include knee pain that worsens with movement, knee bruising, knee swelling, knee tenderness, and difficulty walking.
How does the doctor treat a knee sprain?
The treatment for a knee sprain includes rest, elevation, cold compresses, an elastic wrap, or the application of a splint. Additional treatment may include narcotic pain medications, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain, and arthroscopic surgery of the knee to repair a torn ligament.
Continue to Ligament Knee Injury Incidence
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Abate JA, Fleming BC, Nichols CE. Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part 2. Am J Sports Med. 2005 Nov;33(11):1751-67.
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Abate JA, Fleming BC, Nichols CE. Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part I. Am J Sports Med. 2005 Oct;33(10):1579-602. 
- Boutin RD, Fritz RC. MRI of snow skiing and snowboarding injuries. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2005 Dec;9(4):360-78. 
- Forster MC, Komarsamy B, Davison JN. Distal femoral fractures: a review of fixation methods. Injury. 2006 Feb;37(2):97-108. 
- Khan Z, Faruqui Z, Ogyunbiyi O, Rosset G, Iqbal J. Ultrasound assessment of internal derangement of the knee. Acta Orthop Belg. 2006 Jan;72(1):72-6. 
- Rose NE, Gold SM. A comparison of accuracy between clinical examination and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of meniscal and anterior cruciate ligament tears. Arthroscopy. 1996 Aug;12(4):398-405.
- Woo SL, Abramowitch SD, Kilger R, Liang R. Biomechanics of knee ligaments: injury, healing, and repair. J Biomech. 2006;39(1):1-20.