Facts about leprosy transmission:
- It is not understood how the bacteria are spread from person to person.
- Close physical contact is necessary to spread the disease.
- Children are more susceptible to infection than adults.
- Symptoms of leprosy may not begin until 6 to 8 years after infection.
- People with leprosy are not contagious after one week of treatment.
Continue to Leprosy Types
- Hartzell JD, Zapor M, Peng S, Straight T. Leprosy: a case series and review. South Med J. 2004 Dec;97(12):1252-6. 
- Le Grand A. Women and leprosy: a review. Lepr Rev. 1997 Sep;68(3):203-11.