What to expect with leishmaniasis:
- With early treatment, about 90 percent of people are cured.
- In severe cases, about 15 to 25 percent of people die from the disease.
Continue to Leishmaniasis Underlying Cause
- del Giudice P, Marty P, Lacour JP, Perrin C, Pratlong F, Haas H, Dellamonica P, Le Fichoux Y. Cutaneous leishmaniasis due to Leishmania infantum. Case reports and literature review. Arch Dermatol. 1998 Feb;134(2):193-8. 
- Marty P, Rosenthal E. Treatment of visceral leishmaniasis: a review of current treatment practices. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2002 Aug;3(8):1101-8. 
- Paredes R, Laguna F, Clotet B. Leishmaniasis in HIV-infected persons: a review. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care. 1997 Jun;3(6):22-39. 
- Reithinger R, Davies CR. Is the domestic dog (Canis familiaris) a reservoir host of American cutaneous leishmaniasis? A critical review of the current evidence. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1999 Oct;61(4):530-41.