Facts about leishmaniasis:
- The most common regions for leishmaniasis include:
- Latin America
- Southeast Asia
- Central America
- Leishmaniasis is very rare in the US.
- About 12 million people are infected worldwide.
- Leishmaniasis is most common in children.
Continue to Leishmaniasis Risk Factors
- del Giudice P, Marty P, Lacour JP, Perrin C, Pratlong F, Haas H, Dellamonica P, Le Fichoux Y. Cutaneous leishmaniasis due to Leishmania infantum. Case reports and literature review. Arch Dermatol. 1998 Feb;134(2):193-8. 
- Marty P, Rosenthal E. Treatment of visceral leishmaniasis: a review of current treatment practices. Expert Opin Pharmacother. 2002 Aug;3(8):1101-8. 
- Paredes R, Laguna F, Clotet B. Leishmaniasis in HIV-infected persons: a review. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care. 1997 Jun;3(6):22-39. 
- Reithinger R, Davies CR. Is the domestic dog (Canis familiaris) a reservoir host of American cutaneous leishmaniasis? A critical review of the current evidence. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1999 Oct;61(4):530-41.