Left Upper Abdominal Pain Overview
What is left upper abdominal pain?
A person with left upper abdominal pain has discomfort in the left, upper part of the abdomen. This includes abdominal pain that is in the left part of the abdomen, "under the ribcage." Common causes of left upper abdominal pain include gastritis, peptic ulcer disease, constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, kidney infection, or an injury to the spleen.
What are the symptoms of left upper abdominal pain?
Symptoms that can occur with left upper abdominal pain include abdominal swelling, excessive gas, fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and loss of appetite. Left upper abdominal pain may travel to the groin or the back. In some cases, left upper abdominal pain may worsen during a deep breath.
How does the doctor treat left upper abdominal pain?
Treatment for left upper abdominal pain depends on the underlying cause. Serious causes of left upper abdominal pain may require antibiotics or surgery.
Continue to Left Upper Abdominal Pain Underlying Cause
- Flasar MH, Goldberg E. Acute abdominal pain. Med Clin North Am. 2006 May;90(3):481-503. 
- Holten KB, Wetherington A, Bankston L. Diagnosing the patient with abdominal pain and altered bowel habits: is it irritable bowel syndrome? Am Fam Physician. 2003 May 15;67(10):2157-62. 
- Jones PF. Suspected acute appendicitis: trends in management over 30 years. Br J Surg. 2001 Dec;88(12):1570-7. 
- Lozeau AM, Potter B. Diagnosis and management of ectopic pregnancy. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Nov 1;72(9):1707-14. 
- Macari M, Balthazar EJ. The acute right lower quadrant: CT evaluation.Radiol Clin North Am. 2003 Nov;41(6):1117-36. 
- McCollough M, Sharieff GQ. Abdominal pain in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. 2006 Feb;53(1):107-37, vi. 
- Nagurney JT, Brown DF, Chang Y, Sane S, Wang AC, Weiner JB. Use of diagnostic testing in the emergency department for patients presenting with non-traumatic abdominal pain. J Emerg Med. 2003 Nov;25(4):363-71. 
- Old JL, Dusing RW, Yap W, Dirks J. Imaging for suspected appendicitis. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Jan 1;71(1):71-8. Review. 
- Olden KW. Diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2002 May;122(6):1701-14.
- Warren O, Kinross J, Paraskeva P, Darzi A. Emergency laparoscopy - current best practice. World J Emerg Surg. 2006 Aug 31;1(1):24