Lateral Meniscus Cartilage Injury Home Care
- Apply a cold compress:
- Wrap ice in a moist hand towel. Do not apply ice directly to the skin.
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 1-2 hours, for the first few days.
- Elevate your knee.
- Above your heart if possible.
- Apply an elastic wrap to knee.
- Re-wrap the knee every 6 hours.
- Rest the injury.
- Use a walker.
- Use crutches.
- Use a cane.
- Apply a knee cast or splint.
- The splint may help protect the knee.
- Knee exercises
- Start exercises after 3 days.
- Gradually increase your activity over 1-2 weeks.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Learn everything you can about meniscus knee injury:
- The more you know about your condition, the easier it will be to participate with your doctor in making treatment decisions.
- Ask your doctor about good sources for information.
- Write down questions to ask your doctor.
For more information:
Lateral Meniscus Cartilage Injury Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have a meniscus knee injury and develop any of the following:
Continue to Lateral Meniscus Cartilage Injury Complications
- Beynnon BD, Johnson RJ, Abate JA, Fleming BC, Nichols CE. Treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injuries, part I. Am J Sports Med. 2005 Oct;33(10):1579-602. 
- Boutin RD, Fritz RC. MRI of snow skiing and snowboarding injuries. Semin Musculoskelet Radiol. 2005 Dec;9(4):360-78. 
- Choi NH, Son KM, Victoroff BN. Arthroscopic all-inside repair for a tear of posterior root of the medial meniscus: a technical note. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2008 Jul 17. 
- Rodkey WG, DeHaven KE, Montgomery WH 3rd, Baker CL Jr, Beck CL Jr, Hormel SE, Steadman JR, Cole BJ, Briggs KK. Comparison of the collagen meniscus implant with partial meniscectomy. A prospective randomized trial. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Jul;90(7):1413-26.