Large Intestine Polyps Treatment
Treatment for intestinal polyps often includes medications that suppress the growth of polyps and colonoscopy to remove the polyps. In some cases, conventional abdominal surgery may be required to remove intestinal polyps.
Treatment options for intestinal polyps include:
- Colonoscopy for intestinal polyps
- Most intestinal polyps can be removed endoscopically
- Abdominal surgery for intestinal polyps:
- Less commonly performed, but may be needed if a polyp is large
- Removal of a piece intestine that contains polyps
- Medications that suppress the growth of intestinal polyps:
- Weight reduction:
- Low fat diet
- Increase dietary fiber
- Calcium carbonate:
- 3 grams per day may reduce adenomas by 24% in some patients
Large Intestine Polyps Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for intestinal polyps.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this problem again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Large Intestine Polyps Specialist
Continue to Large Intestine Polyps Home Care
- Friedman S, Odze RD, Farraye FA. Management of neoplastic polyps in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2003 Jul;9(4):260-6. 
- Merg A, Howe JR. Genetic conditions associated with intestinal juvenile polyps. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2004 Aug 15;129(1):44-55. 
- Schulmann K, Hollerbach S, Kraus K, Willert J, Vogel T, Moslein G, Pox C, Reiser M, Reinacher-Schick A, Schmiegel W. Feasibility and diagnostic utility of video capsule endoscopy for the detection of small bowel polyps in patients with hereditary polyposis syndromes. Am J Gastroenterol. 2005 Jan;100(1):27-37. 
- Togashi K, Konishi F, Ishizuka T, Sato T, Senba S, Kanazawa K. Efficacy of magnifying endoscopy in the differential diagnosis of neoplastic and non-neoplastic polyps of the large bowel. Dis Colon Rectum. 1999 Dec;42(12):1602-8.