The treatment for labyrinthitis depends on the underlying cause. Treatment for labyrinthitis often includes rest, antibiotics, and medications to control dizziness and nausea. Additional treatment may include antiviral medications.
Treatment for labyrinthitis may include:
- Bed rest
- Encourage fluids to maintain adequate hydration
- Support for poor balance:
- Walker or cane
- Antibiotics for labyrinthitis
- Antiviral medications for labyrinthitis:
- Medications to reduce vertigo:
- Diazepam (Valium)
- Dimenhydrinate (Dramamine)
- Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
- Lorazepam (Ativan)
- Meclizine (Antivert)
- Transdermal scopolamine
- Medications to reduce nausea and vomiting:
- Metoclopramide (Reglan)
- Ondansetron (Zofran)
- Prochlorperazine (Compazine, Compro)
- Promethazine (Phenergan)
Labyrinthitis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for labyrinthitis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat labyrinthitis:
Continue to Labyrinthitis Home Care
- Halmagyi GM. Diagnosis and management of vertigo. Clin Med. 2005 Mar-Apr;5(2):159-65. 
- Hyden D. Mumps labyrinthitis, endolymphatic hydrops and sudden deafness in succession in the same ear. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 1996 Nov-Dec;58(6):338-42. 
- Lemajic-Komazec S, Komazec Z. Initial evaluation of vertigo. Med Pregl. 2006 Nov-Dec;59(11-12):585-90. 
- Stokroos RJ, Albers FW, Tenvergert EM. Antiviral treatment of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical trial. Acta Otolaryngol. 1998 Jul;118(4):488-95. 
- Swartz R, Longwell P. Treatment of vertigo. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Mar 15;71(6):1115-22.