Kaposi's Sarcoma Treatment
Treatment for Kaposi's sarcoma skin tumors usually includes highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), in order to control the HIV infection. Additional treatment for Kaposi's sarcoma may include cryotherapy, radiation therapy, chemotherapy, interferon, and topical medications.
Treatment options for Kaposi's sarcoma skin tumors include:
- Highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART):
- Non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTI)
- Nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTI)
- Protease inhibitors
- Fusion inhibitors
- Integrase inhibitors
- Cryotherapy for Kaposi's sarcoma
- Radiation therapy for Kaposi's sarcoma
- Chemotherapy for Kaposi's sarcoma
- Topical retinoids for Kaposi's sarcoma
- Interferon for Kaposi's sarcoma
Kaposi's Sarcoma Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for Kaposi's sarcoma.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- Are my children at risk for this condition?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Kaposi's Sarcoma Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat Kaposi's sarcoma:
Continue to Kaposi's Sarcoma Home Care
- Aversa SM, Cattelan AM, Salvagno L, Crivellari G, Banna G, Trevenzoli M, Chiarion-Sileni V, Monfardini S. Treatments of AIDS-related Kaposi's sarcoma. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2005 Mar;53(3):253-65. 
- Barillari G, Sgadari C, Toschi E, Monini P, Ensoli B. HIV protease inhibitors as new treatment options for Kaposi's sarcoma. Drug Resist Updat. 2003 Aug;6(4):173-81. 
- Dittmer DP, Vahrson W, Staudt M, Hilscher C, Fakhari FD. Kaposi's sarcoma in the era of HAART-an update on mechanisms, diagnostics and treatment. AIDS Rev. 2005 Jan-Mar;7(1):56-61. 
- Gallafent JH, Buskin SE, De Turk PB, Aboulafia DM. Profile of patients with Kaposi's sarcoma in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Clin Oncol. 2005 Feb 20;23(6):1253-60. 
- Schwartz RA. Kaposi's sarcoma: an update. J Surg Oncol. 2004 Sep 1;87(3):146-51.