Juvenile-Onset Diabetes Drugs Insulin
Insulin therapy is the primary treatment for type 1 diabetes. Insulin reduces sugar levels in the bloodstream by stimulating the body to utilize glucose for energy. Insulin is given by injection, or through an automatic insulin pump. Both methods require regular blood sugar measurements, in order to monitor therapy.
Insulin pumps are small devices that that deliver insulin through a tiny needle placed in the skin. This provides a constant dose of short-acting insulin at all times. The pump can be adjusted to release extra insulin before a meal.
Insulin injection therapy involves injections of short, intermediate, or long-acting insulin, at different times of the day. Some may mix short and longer acting insulins into a single injection. Insulin injections may be given 2 to 4 times per day. Insulin doses vary, depending on a person's size, blood sugar level, caloric intake and activity.
Continue to Juvenile-Onset Diabetes Sliding Scale
- Davis RE, Morrissey M, Peters JR, Wittrup-Jensen K, Kennedy-Martin T, Currie CJ. Impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life and productivity in type 1 and type 2 diabetes. Curr Med Res Opin. 2005 Sep;21(9):1477-83. 
- Larsson K, Elding-Larsson H, Cederwall E, Kockum K, Neiderud J, Sjoblad S, Lindberg B, Lernmark B, Cilio C, Ivarsson SA, Lernmark A. Genetic and perinatal factors as risk for childhood type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2004 Nov-Dec;20(6):429-37. 
- Mannucci E, Rotella F, Ricca V, Moretti S, Placidi GF, Rotella CM. Eating disorders in patients with type 1 diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Endocrinol Invest. 2005 May;28(5):417-9. 
- Schlosser M, Strebelow M, Rjasanowski I, Kerner W, Wassmuth R, Ziegler M. Prevalence of diabetes-associated autoantibodies in schoolchildren: the Karlsburg Type 1 Diabetes Risk Study. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2004 Dec;1037:114-7. 
- Steck AK, Bugawan TL, Valdes AM, Emery LM, Blair A, Norris JM, Redondo MJ, Babu SR, Erlich HA, Eisenbarth GS, Rewers MJ. Association of non-HLA genes with type 1 diabetes autoimmunity. Diabetes. 2005 Aug;54(8):2482-6.