Ischial Tuberosity Bursitis Home Care
- Avoid activities that cause pain.
- Apply a cold compress:
- Wrap ice in a moist hand towel. Do not apply ice directly to the skin.
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 1-2 hours, for the first few days.
- Apply warm compresses:
- Apply for 20-30 minutes, every 1-2 hours, after a few days.
- Acetaminophen for pain
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Avoid prolonged sitting
- Use doughnut cushion when sitting
- Hamstring stretching exercises
- Hamstring strengthening exercises
- Weight loss if you are overweight
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
Ischial Tuberosity Bursitis Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have ischial bursitis and any of the following:
Continue to Ischial Tuberosity Bursitis Anatomy
- Akisue T, Yamamoto T, Marui T, Hitora T, Nagira K, Mihune Y, Kurosaka M, Fujita I, Matsumoto K. Ischiogluteal bursitis: multimodality imaging findings. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2003 Jan;(406):214-7.