Irritable Bowel Outlook
What to expect with irritable bowel disease:
- Irritable bowel disease can be a life-long illness
- The symptoms of IBS tend to decrease with age.
- Life expectancy is the same as the general population.
Continue to Irritable Bowel Underlying Cause
- El-Serag HB, Pilgrim P, Schoenfeld P. Systemic review: Natural history of irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Apr 15;19(8):861-70. 
- Hungin AP, Chang L, Locke GR, Dennis EH, Barghout V. Irritable bowel syndrome in the United States: prevalence, symptom patterns and impact. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Jun 1;21(11):1365-75. 
- Payne S. Sex, gender, and irritable bowel syndrome: making the connections. Gend Med. 2004 Aug;1(1):18-28. 
- Spanier JA, Howden CW, Jones MP. A systematic review of alternative therapies in the irritable bowel syndrome. Arch Intern Med. 2003 Feb 10;163(3):265-74.