Irritable Bowel Disease Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for irritable bowel disease.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
Continue to Irritable Bowel Disease Specialist
- El-Serag HB, Pilgrim P, Schoenfeld P. Systemic review: Natural history of irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Apr 15;19(8):861-70. 
- Hungin AP, Chang L, Locke GR, Dennis EH, Barghout V. Irritable bowel syndrome in the United States: prevalence, symptom patterns and impact. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2005 Jun 1;21(11):1365-75. 
- Payne S. Sex, gender, and irritable bowel syndrome: making the connections. Gend Med. 2004 Aug;1(1):18-28. 
- Spanier JA, Howden CW, Jones MP. A systematic review of alternative therapies in the irritable bowel syndrome. Arch Intern Med. 2003 Feb 10;163(3):265-74.