Iron Deficient Anemia Overview
What is iron deficient anemia?
A person with iron deficient anemia has low levels of iron in the bloodstream, which results in a low number of red blood cells. Iron is required to make hemoglobin, which carries oxygen inside the blood cells. Without sufficient amounts of iron, the production of red blood cells decreases. Iron deficient anemia may be caused by the lack of iron in the diet, or by blood loss cause due to injury, gastrointestinal bleeding, or heavy menstrual bleeding.
What are the symptoms of iron deficient anemia?
Early symptoms of iron deficient anemia include fatigue, weakness, pale skin, headaches, and faintness. Symptoms of worsening iron deficient anemia include palpitations, rapid pulse, fainting, and worsening shortness of breath.
How does the doctor treat iron deficient anemia?
Treatment for iron deficient anemia may include iron supplements, vitamin supplements, erythropoietin, and blood transfusions.
Continue to Iron Deficient Anemia Incidence
- Green BT, Rockey DC. Gastrointestinal endoscopic evaluation of premenopausal women with iron deficiency anemia. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2004 Feb;38(2):104-9. 
- Ioannou GN, Dominitz JA, Weiss NS, Heagerty PJ, Kowdley KV. The effect of alcohol consumption on the prevalence of iron overload, iron deficiency, and iron deficiency anemia. Gastroenterology. 2004 May;126(5):1293-301. 
- Lozoff B, De Andraca I, Castillo M, Smith JB, Walter T, Pino P. Behavioral and developmental effects of preventing iron-deficiency anemia in healthy full-term infants. Pediatrics. 2003 Oct;112(4):846-54. 
- Sinclair LM, Hinton PS. Prevalence of iron deficiency with and without anemia in recreationally active men and women. J Am Diet Assoc. 2005 Jun;105(6):975-8. 
- White KC. Anemia is a poor predictor of iron deficiency among toddlers in the United States: for heme the bell tolls. Pediatrics. 2005 Feb;115(2):315-20.