Overview Incidence Risk Factors Symptoms Evaluation Treatment questions for doctor specialist Home Care diarrhea in adults diarrhea in children pain and fever adults pain and fever children vomiting in adults vomiting in children warning signs Prevention Complications Underlying Cause Transmission Anatomy
Intestinal Infection Bacterial Vomiting in Adults
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea. Sports drinks are best. The absence of food allows the intestines to rest.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently. In general, two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes is an effective strategy.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues despite the above, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
PubMed Intestinal Infection Bacterial References
- Bricker E, Garg R, Nelson R, Loza A, Novak T, Hansen J. Antibiotic treatment for Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea in adults. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005 Jan 25;(1):CD004610. 
- Butzler JP. Campylobacter, from obscurity to celebrity. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2004 Oct;10(10):868-76. 
- Duggan C, Nurko S: "Feeding the gut": the scientific basis for continued enteral nutrition during acute diarrhea. J Pediatr 1997 Dec; 131(6): 801-8. 
- Guerrant RL, Van Gilder T, Steiner TS, et al: Practice guidelines for the management of infectious diarrhea. Clin Infect Dis 2001 Feb 1; 32(3): 331-51. 
- Liebelt EL: Clinical and laboratory evaluation and management of children with vomiting, diarrhea, and dehydration. Curr Opin Pediatr 1998 Oct; 10(5): 461-9. 
- Wong CS, Jelacic S, Habeeb RL: The risk of the hemolytic-uremic syndrome after antibiotic treatment of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections. N Engl J Med 2000 Jun 29; 342(26): 1930-6.