Injured Bladder Treatment
The treatment for a bladder injury depends on the severity of the injury. Treatment for a bladder injury usually includes the placement of a urinary catheter, pain medications, and intravenous (IV) fluids. In some cases, surgery will be required to repair the bladder. Antibiotics may be given to prevent bladder infection.
Treatment for a bladder injury may include:
- Plenty of fluids
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Urinary catheter:
- Anticholinergic medications:
- To reduce bladder spasms
- Surgery for bladder injury:
- Bladder ruptures and lacerations require surgical repair.
- Antibiotics to prevent bladder infection
Injured Bladder Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of a bladder injury.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having this injury again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Injured Bladder Specialist
Continue to Injured Bladder Home Care
- Hsieh CH, Chen RJ, Fang JF, et al. Diagnosis and management of bladder injury by trauma surgeons. Am J Surg. 2002 Aug;184(2):143-7. 
- Morey AF, Iverson AJ, Swan A, Harmon WJ, Spore SS, Bhayani S, Brandes SB. Bladder rupture after blunt trauma: guidelines for diagnostic imaging. J Trauma. 2001 Oct;51(4):683-6. 
- Ostrzenski A, Ostrzenska KM. Bladder injury during laparoscopic surgery. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 1998 Mar;53(3):175-80.