Infrapatellar Bursitis Treatment
The treatment for knee bursitis usually includes rest, cold compresses, elevation, ACE wrap, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Additional treatment for knee bursitis may include corticosteroids and the removal of excess fluid from the knee bursa.
The treatment options for knee bursitis include:
- Rest the knee
- Cold compresses
- Elevate the knee
- ACE bandage the knee
- Removal of fluid from the knee bursa
- Physical therapy for knee bursitis
- Occupational therapy
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain
- Corticosteroid injections for knee bursitis
- Oral corticosteroids:
- Antibiotics may be prescribed if a bacterial infection is suspected.
- Surgery for knee bursitis
- Removal of the bursa in severe cases
Infrapatellar Bursitis Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after treatment for knee bursitis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- Do I need a special exercise program?
- Will I need physical therapy?
- Will I need occupational therapy?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Infrapatellar Bursitis Specialist
Continue to Infrapatellar Bursitis Home Care
- Bennett R. Addressing musculoskeletal pain. Geriatrics. 2004 Aug;59(8):11-2. 
- Handy JR. Anserine bursitis: a brief review. South Med J. 1997 Apr;90(4):376-7. 
- Kang I, Han SW. Anserine bursitis in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. South Med J. 2000 Feb;93(2):207-9.