Inflammatory Bowel Disease Overview
What is inflammatory bowel disease?
A person with inflammatory bowel disease has swelling and inflammation of the wall of the intestines. Examples of inflammatory bowel disease include ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease.
What are the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease?
Common symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease include episodes of abdominal pain and diarrhea that is often bloody. Other symptoms include abdominal swelling, constipation, fever, joint pain, nausea, weakness or fatigue, and weight loss.
How does the doctor treat inflammatory bowel disease?
There is no cure for inflammatory bowel disease. The specific treatment depends on the underlying cause. The goal of treatment is to control symptoms and limit the frequency of symptoms. Treatment for inflammatory bowel disease may include a special diet that is high in fiber and omega-3-fatty acids, medications to lessen inflammation in the intestines, vitamin supplements, and surgery.
Continue to Inflammatory Bowel Disease Anatomy
- Hanauer SB. Review article: the long-term management of ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Oct;20 Suppl 4:97-101. 
- Hela S, Nihel M, Faten L, Monia F, Jalel B, Azza F, Slaheddine S. Osteoporosis and Crohn's disease. Joint Bone Spine. 2004 Nov 10. 
- Hommes D, Baert F, Van Assche G, et al. Management of Recent Onset Crohn's Disease: A Controlled, Randomized Trial Comparing Step-up and Top-down Therapy. Gastroenterology. 2005 Jul;129(1):371. 
- Loftus EV Jr, Kane SV, Bjorkman D. Systematic review: short-term adverse effects of 5-aminosalicylic acid agents in the treatment of ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2004 Jan 15;19(2):179-89. 
- McKaig BC, Stack WA. Novel approaches to inflammatory bowel disease. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 1998 Jul;7(7):1099-113. 
- Petros JG. Crohn's disease update. Curr Surg. 2000 March - April;57(2):95-103. 
- Rizzello F, Gionchetti P, Venturi A, Campieri M. Review article: medical treatment of severe ulcerative colitis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2003 Jun;17 Suppl 2:7-10.