Inflammation of the Gallbladder Anatomy
To better understand gallbladder disease, it helps to understand the anatomy of the gallbladder and biliary tract.
The gallbladder is located in the upper right-hand portion of the abdomen. It is just under the ribcage. This hollow organ acts as a storage site for bile that is made in the liver. Bile flows into the upper intestine to aid digestion via a tube called the common bile duct.
- Ahmed A, Cheung RC, Keeffe EB. Management of gallstones and their complications. Am Fam Physician. 2000 Mar 15;61(6):1673-80, 1687-8. 
- Bartlett DL. Gallbladder cancer. Semin Surg Oncol. 2000 Sep-Oct;19(2):145-55. 
- Cirillo DJ, Wallace RB, Rodabough RJ, Greenland P, LaCroix AZ, Limacher MC, Larson JC. Effect of estrogen therapy on gallbladder disease. JAMA. 2005 Jan 19;293(3):330-9. 
- Fernandez M, Csendes A, Yarmuch J, Diaz H, Silva J. Management of common bile duct stones: the state of the art in 2000. Int Surg. 2003 Jul-Sep;88(3):159-63. 
- Glasgow RE, Cho M, Hutter MM, Mulvihill SJ. The spectrum and cost of complicated gallstone disease in California. Arch Surg. 2000 Sep;135(9):1021-5; discussion 1025-7. 
- Majeski J. Laparoscopic cholecystectomy in geriatric patients. Am J Surg. 2004 Jun;187(6):747-50.