Inflamed Tongue Treatment
Treatment for glossitis depends on the underlying cause. Treatment usually includes good oral hygiene, saltwater gargles three times per day, and tongue brushing three times per day. Depending on the underlying cause glossitis may be treated with antibiotics or vitamin supplements.
Treatment options for glossitis include:
- Maintain good oral hygiene:
- Brush your teeth after meals and at bedtime.
- Floss your teeth every day.
- Gargle with dilute saltwater three times per day.
- Brush your tongue three times a day.
- Clean the tongue with a tongue scraper each day.
- Antibiotics for glossitis
- Antifungal medications for glossitis
- Vitamin B supplements
- Topical oral anesthetic:
- Topical dental paste:
Inflamed Tongue Specialist
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat glossitis:
Continue to Inflamed Tongue Home Care
- Assimakopoulos D, Patrikakos G, Fotika C, Elisaf M. Benign migratory glossitis or geographic tongue: an enigmatic oral lesion. Am J Med. 2002 Dec 15;113(9):751-5. 
- Bohmer T, Mowe M. The association between atrophic glossitis and protein-calorie malnutrition in old age. Age Ageing. 2000 Jan;29(1):47-50. 
- Byrd JA, Bruce AJ, Rogers RS 3rd. Glossitis and other tongue disorders. Dermatol Clin. 2003 Jan;21(1):123-34.