Inflamed Inner Ear Home Care
Home care for labyrinthitis includes:
- Stop smoking.
- Avoid exposure to secondary smoke.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- If you are dizzy:
- Avoid rapid movements of the head.
- Lie still in a comfortable position.
- Do not walk.
- If your balance is poor:
- Do not climb stairs.
- Use a walker.
- Take prescribed medications as directed:
- Don't skip doses of your medication. This makes them less effective.
- Be aware of the common side effects that may be caused by your medication.
- Nonprescription medications for vomiting:
Inflamed Inner Ear Vomiting
- Drink clear liquids only, such as water, sports drinks, fruit juice and dilute tea.
- Drink small quantities of fluids frequently: two tablespoons of fluid every 5 minutes.
- Avoid milk and dairy products for 3 days.
- Avoid liquids that irritate the stomach, such as citrus juice, alcohol and coffee.
- If nausea or vomiting continues, consider one of the nonprescription medicines listed below.
- Once vomiting and nausea resolves, start bland foods first. If you tolerate bland food, then you can resume a normal diet.
Nonprescription medications for vomiting include:
Inflamed Inner Ear Warning Signs
Notify your doctor if you have labyrinthitis and any of the following:
- Worsening dizziness
- Worsening headache
- Worsening hearing loss
- Worsening vertigo
- Repeated vomiting
- Constant ringing in the ears
- Inability to stand
- Inability to walk
- Sudden numbness in one arm or leg:
- Sudden weakness in one arm or leg:
- Facial weakness (unilateral):
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty speaking
- Change in vision:
- Loss of coordination
- Memory loss
Continue to Inflamed Inner Ear Outlook
- Halmagyi GM. Diagnosis and management of vertigo. Clin Med. 2005 Mar-Apr;5(2):159-65. 
- Hyden D. Mumps labyrinthitis, endolymphatic hydrops and sudden deafness in succession in the same ear. ORL J Otorhinolaryngol Relat Spec. 1996 Nov-Dec;58(6):338-42. 
- Lemajic-Komazec S, Komazec Z. Initial evaluation of vertigo. Med Pregl. 2006 Nov-Dec;59(11-12):585-90. 
- Stokroos RJ, Albers FW, Tenvergert EM. Antiviral treatment of idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss: a prospective, randomized, double-blind clinical trial. Acta Otolaryngol. 1998 Jul;118(4):488-95. 
- Swartz R, Longwell P. Treatment of vertigo. Am Fam Physician. 2005 Mar 15;71(6):1115-22.