The treatment for infertility in women includes assisted reproductive technologies, counseling, and medications to stimulate ovulation in women. The treatment for infertility in men includes testosterone and other medications to increase sperm count. Surgery may be an option for some patients.
Treatment options for infertility include:
- Assisted reproductive technology
- Counseling for infertility
- Medication to stimulate ovulation in women:
- Medication to increase sperm count in men:
- Clomiphene (Clomid)
- Bromocriptine (Parlodel)
- Menotropins (Pergonal, Repronex)
- Human chorionic gonadotropin (Novarel, Pregnyl)
- Surgery for female infertility
- Surgery for male infertility
Infertility Assisted Reproduction
The procedure for assisted reproduction in females includes:
- Stimulation of ovulation in the female
- Removal of the egg from the female
- Introduction of the unfertilized or fertilized egg into the female uterus or fallopian tube
Infertility Females Surgery
Infertility can be caused by abnormal structures in the female reproductive organs. These abnormalities may be treated with surgery.
Surgical procedures used for the treatment of infertility in women include:
- A thin, flexible tube that contains a fiberoptic scope is inserted through the cervix and into the uterus. Small procedures can be performed using instruments introduces through the tube.
- A thin, flexible tube that contains a fiberoptic scope is inserted through the skin and into the abdomen, in order to view the pelvic organs. Procedures can be performed using instruments that are introduced through holes in the skin.
- An incision is made in the abdominal wall and abnormalities are viewed directly. This surgical approach must be used when abnormalities are extensive.
Infertility Males Surgery
Infertility can be caused by abnormal structures in the male reproductive organs. These abnormalities may be treated with surgery.
Surgical procedures used for the treatment of infertility in men include:
Physicians from the following specialties evaluate and treat infertility:
Continue to Infertility Home Care
- Boivin J. A review of psychosocial interventions in infertility. Soc Sci Med. 2003 Dec;57(12):2325-41. 
- Egozcue J, Blanco J, Anton E, Egozcue S, Sarrate Z, Vidal F. Genetic analysis of sperm and implications of severe male infertility--a review. Placenta. 2003 Oct;24 Suppl B:S62-5. 
- Pandian Z, Bhattacharya S, Templeton A. Review of unexplained infertility and obstetric outcome: a 10 year review. Hum Reprod. 2001 Dec;16(12):2593-7. 
- Pritts EA. Fibroids and infertility: a systematic review of the evidence. Obstet Gynecol Surv. 2001 Aug;56(8):483-91.