Infection of the Prostate Gland Treatment
Treatment for prostatitis includes antibiotics, stool softeners, and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain. Rarely, surgery may be required to treat prostatitis.
Specific treatment for prostatitis includes:
- Encourage plenty of fluids
- Antibiotics for prostatitis
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications for pain:
- Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin, NeoProfen)
- Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Oruvail)
- Naproxen (Anaprox, Naprosyn, Aleve)
- Narcotic pain medication:
- For moderate to severe pain
- For short term use only
- Stool softeners:
- Warm baths
Rarely, surgery may be required for the treatment of severe prostatitis.
Surgical treatment of prostatitis:
- Prostatectomy for prostatitis:
- Removal of the prostate
- Transurethral resection of the prostate for prostatitis:
- Removal of infected prostate tissue through the penis
Infection of the Prostate Gland Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of prostatitis.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for having prostatitis again?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Infection of the Prostate Gland Specialist
Continue to Infection of the Prostate Gland Home Care
- de la Rosette JJ, Debruyne FM. Nonbacterial prostatitis: a comprehensive review. Urol Int. 1991;46(2):121-5. 
- Kot T, Pettit-Young N. Acute and chronic bacterial prostatitis: a review of treatment approaches. Compr Ther. 1990 Aug;16(8):54-9. 
- McNaughton Collins M, MacDonald R, Wilt TJ. Diagnosis and treatment of chronic abacterial prostatitis: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med. 2000 Sep 5;133(5):367-81. 
- Wagenlehner FM, Weidner W, Sorgel F, Naber KG. The role of antibiotics in chronic bacterial prostatitis. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2005 Jul;26(1):1-7.