Infection of the Intestines Incidence
Facts about gastroenteritis:
- Contaminated food accounts for about 76 million cases of gastroenteritis illness each year in the U.S.
- About 325,000 people in the US are hospitalized each year for gastroenteritis.
- About 5,000 deaths in the US are due to gastroenteritis each year.
- Viruses cause millions of intestinal infections each year.
Continue to Infection of the Intestines Risk Factors
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Practice parameter: the management of acute gastroenteritis in young children. American Academy of Pediatrics, Provisional Committee on Quality Improvement, Subcommittee on Acute Gastroenteritis. Pediatrics. 1996 Mar;97(3):424-35. 
- Anderson EJ, Weber SG. Rotavirus infection in adults. Lancet Infect Dis. 2004 Feb;4(2):91-9. 
- Lopman BA, Reacher MH, Van Duijnhoven Y, Hanon FX, Brown D, Koopmans M. Viral gastroenteritis outbreaks in Europe, 1995-2000. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003 Jan;9(1):90-6. 
- Szajewska H, Mrukowicz JZ. Probiotics in the treatment and prevention of acute infectious diarrhea in infants and children: a systematic review of published randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2001 Oct;33 Suppl 2:S17-25. 
- Widdowson MA, Bresee JS, Gentsch JR, Glass RI. Rotavirus disease and its prevention. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2005 Jan;21(1):26-31.