Infected Head of the Penis Evaluation
The evaluation of balanitis is based on a history and physical examination.
Physical findings in males with balanitis include:
- Sticky coating over the head of the penis
- Redness and tenderness to the head of the penis
- Swelling of the head of the penis
Findings on exam can confirm the diagnosis. Usually, tests for balanitis are not necessary.
Tests that may be used to evaluate balanitis include:
Continue to Infected Head of the Penis Treatment
- Abdennader S, Casin I, Janier M, Morel P. Balanitis and balanoposthitis: a review. Genitourin Med. 1996 Dec;72(6):453-4. 
- Bunker CB. Topics in penile dermatology. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2001 Sep;26(6):469-79. 
- Harrison BP. Pediatric penile swelling. Acad Emerg Med. 1996 Apr;3(4):384, 87, 88. 
- Leverkus M, Mayer J, Brocker EB, Hamm H. Isolated streptococcal balanoposthitis in an adult patient. Dermatology. 2002;204(2):153-4.