Infected Aneurysm Types
There are two main types of mycotic aneurysms:
- Bacterial infection of the arterial wall leads to the formation of an aneurysm
- A pre-existing aneurysm in the wall of an artery becomes infected with bacteria.
Mycotic aneurysms can occur:
PubMed Infected Aneurysm References
- Coughlin PA, Mavor AI. Arterial consequences of recreational drug use. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. 2006 Oct;32(4):389-96. Epub 2006 May 8. 
- Yen PS, Teo BT, Chen SC, Chiu TL. Endovascular treatment for bilateral mycotic intracavernous carotid aneurysms. Case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg. 2007 Oct;107(4):868-72. 
- Yoon JO. Not just an aneurysm, but an infected one: a case report and literature. J Vasc Nurs. 2006 Mar;24(1):2-8; quiz 9-10.