Infant Botulism Prevention
Prevention of botulism includes:
- Do not eat home-canned foods.
- If food smells unusual, throw it away.
- Clean wounds thoroughly:
- Use mild soap and water.
- Gently dab the wound with hydrogen peroxide to remove clotted blood.
- Do not scrub the wound.
- Remove dirt or foreign material from the wound.
- Running water can help remove dirt.
- Never give honey to infants who are less than 12 months old.
Continue to Infant Botulism Outlook
- Cherington M. Botulism: update and review. Semin Neurol. 2004 Jun;24(2):155-63. 
- Hatheway CL: Botulism: the present status of the disease. Curr Top Microbiol Immunol 1995; 195: 55-75. 
- Robinson RF, Nahata MC. Management of botulism. Ann Pharmacother. 2003 Jan;37(1):127-31. 
- Shapiro RL, Hatheway C, Swerdlow DL: Botulism in the United States: a clinical and epidemiologic review. Ann Intern Med 1998 Aug 1; 129(3): 221-8.