Immune System Weak Underlying Cause
Any disease or treatment that prevents the body's immune system from working normally can cause immune system deficiency.
The most common causes for immune system deficiency include:
- The administration of medicines that kill cancer cells.
- Medication therapy after an organ transplant
Additional conditions that can prevent the immune system from working normally include:
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Congestive heart failure
- Cushing's disease
- Cystic fibrosis
- Hepatitis B
- Hepatitis C
- Kidney failure
- Radiation therapy:
- Exposing cancer cells to radiation can kill them.
- Severe infections
- Sickle cell anemia
- Steroid medications:
Continue to Immune System Weak Anatomy
- Mayo J, Collazos J, Martinez E. Fever of unknown origin in the setting of HIV infection: guidelines for a rational approach. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 1998 May;12(5):373-8. 
- Perrone J, Hollander JE, Datner EM. Emergency Department evaluation of patients with fever and chemotherapy-induced neutropenia. J Emerg Med. 2004 Aug;27(2):115-9.