Treatment for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy often includes a low salt diet and medications to improve heart function. Additional treatment may include a heart pacemaker and heart surgery. Some patients may be candidates for a heart and lung transplant.
Treatment options for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy include:
- Regular exercise program
- Beta-blockers for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Calcium channel blockers for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Nesiritide (Natrecor)
- Pacemaker therapy for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- Surgery for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy:
- To improve blood flow through the heart
- Heart-lung transplant for hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- For those who have pulmonary hypertension
IHSS Questions For Doctor
The following are some important questions to ask before and after the treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Questions to ask before treatment:
- What are my treatment options?
- Is surgery an option for me?
- What are the risks associated with treatment?
- Do I need to stay in the hospital?
- How long will I be in the hospital?
- What are the complications I should watch for?
- How long will I be on medication?
- What are the potential side effects of my medication?
- Does my medication interact with nonprescription medicines or supplements?
- Should I take my medication with food?
Questions to ask after treatment:
- Do I need to change my diet?
- Do I need to lose weight?
- Are there any medications or supplements I should avoid?
- When can I resume my normal activities?
- When can I return to work?
- What else can I do to reduce my risk for complications?
- How often will I need to see my doctor for checkups?
- What local support and other resources are available?
Continue to IHSS Home Care
- Abbas AE, Brewington SD, Dixon SR, Grines CL, O'Neill WW. Alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. J Interv Cardiol. 2005 Jun;18(3):155-62. 
- Frias PA. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and arrhythmogenic right ventricular dysplasia in young patients. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2005 Mar;12(1):25-31. 
- Maron BJ. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: a systematic review. JAMA. 2002 Mar 13;287(10):1308-20. 
- Sherrid MV, Barac I, McKenna WJ, Elliott PM, Dickie S, Chojnowska L, Casey S, Maron BJ. Multicenter study of the efficacy and safety of disopyramide in obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 Apr 19;45(8):1251-8.