The evaluation of hypothyroidism includes a history and physical exam.
Physical findings in someone with hypothyroidism include:
- Dry skin
- Low blood pressure
- Low temperature
- Slow breathing rate
- Slow pulse (less than 60 beats per minute)
- Slow speech
- Swelling of the face, hands and feet
- Thin hair
- Thin nails
Tests that may be used to evaluate hypothyroidism include:
Continue to Hypothyroidism Treatment
- Escobar-Morreale HF, Botella-Carretero JI, Escobar del Rey F, Morreale de Escobar G. REVIEW: Treatment of hypothyroidism with combinations of levothyroxine plus liothyronine. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005 Aug;90(8):4946-54. 
- Rovet J, Daneman D. Congenital hypothyroidism: a review of current diagnostic and treatment practices in relation to neuropsychologic outcome. Paediatr Drugs. 2003;5(3):141-9. 
- Simon NM, Blacker D, Korbly NB, Sharma SG, Worthington JJ, Otto MW, Pollack MH. Hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism in anxiety disorders revisited: new data and literature review. J Affect Disord. 2002 May;69(1-3):209-17.